Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Time with friends

This past weekend (which extended into Monday) was such a blessing! Let's start with Friday:

I helped lead worship at Faith Bible's women's retreat. What refreshment! It has been SO long since I've gotten to do anything musical and throw in that I got to sing with my friend Julie Jo...well...it was WONDERFUL! I miss her (which is ridiculous because we live 20 minutes away from each other!) and I really miss singing (not much chance for that when you're taking care of kiddos every Sunday and Wednesday).

Later that night, my friend Lauren came over to hang out. I honestly don't even remember what we did...I think we caught up on Chuck episodes and watched other random stuff. It doesn't matter. Any time Lauren comes over it's fun!

Saturday, I got to sing some more with Julie at Faith. Then I hightailed it home so we could get the young-uns ready to go to the Medieval Fair in Norman! Yes, folks...we partook in the nerdiest fair in the land. Because that's who we are and that's what we do! :) I made the comment about how the state fair brings out all the 'carnies' and 'w.t.' people from the woodwork. Well, the Medieval Fair brings out all the 'D&D' and sci-fi lovers from the woodwork.

AND it's an excuse to wear a costume! "But Heather", you say, "I don't have any medieval-type costumes!" Doesn't matter! Do you have fairy wings? Strap 'em on! Tights? Pull those puppies up to your navel and wear some wrestling shoes over them. Girls, put on a bikini top and some billowy pants. You've just achieved "gypsy" status! Men, throw on the aforementioned tights and wrestling shoes and a burlap sack over the top and you've got yourself a bona fide peasant/knave/ye olde costume! Priceless! Seriously, anything mythological counts at this place, whether it's from the days of yore, yesteryear, the colonial period, ancient Greece...whatever! Put it on and you fit right in!

Seriously, though, it was a good time...Johnny even bought a sword! He has wanted his very own s-word ("I can read, Trebek!") for so long now that I think I may have been more excited that he got one than he was! We got J.J. (who stayed at Grami's house while we braved the wind, blowing grass, elves, heat and sun) his own wooden sword and shield. But Johnny says he needs one too...because right now all J.J. can do with his sword is get into trouble swinging it around at objects in the house. "He really needs someone else to have one too so they can swordfight," Johnny commented. Mmmhmmm...just what I need in the house.

After yon fair, we went back to get J.J. and Johnny dropped me off in Edmond at Pei Wei to eat din din with Julie Jo (woo hoo...3 times in two days!), RacheyB and Jen Reeves. I love hanging out with those girls...it's always so much fun (even if we didn't take our annual "fake laughing" pics).

So, Sunday was busy too (as usual). Church was its usual crazy self. Nothing extroardinarily taxing. That afternoon I got to go to a bridal shower for one of the girls who grew up in our youth group. So fun! Hanging out with precious girls from our church and just being silly. Love it! And then after evening church, Lauren came over again. See? Fun times with friends!

And then to top it all off, last night I got to go eat dinner with fun girls from the 20something class! Dinner at Friday's (pecan-crusted chicken salad? Yes, please!) and then a most ridiculous game of "Loaded Questions" at Lauren's house! SO FUN!

I'd like to thank my husband for making this past weekend possible! He was such a trooper, watching the mini-Hugheses while I went out and played! Thanks, honey! You're amazing! You've more than earned your weekend away! :) Love you!

5 comments:

Lauren said...

hurray! that was on the of the best nights ever. i haven't laughed so hard (or so loud) in a very long time. i love you people.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like an amazingly great weekend.

Tracy said...

"That'sh not what chor motha said lasht night, Trebek!" har har har.

Haha!!! I love celebrity Jeopardy!!!!

No seriously....sounds like a fab weekend!! :-) Yay for super hubbies!

Heather said...

Oh my word, Tracy! You spelled it exactly like he says it! Hilarious! And I'm glad somebody caught that reference!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

A Little Mood Music